Makeup Starter Kit - The Base

By Unknown - 9:30:00 am

Some of you may have read my 'Makeup Starter Kit' post that I'd written a month or so ago, and may be wondering why I have another, but I thought that it would be a good idea to break my ideal starter kit down further into different categories (bases, cheeks, lips, etc.) to make it even easier for those starting out to build a makeup collection that they will get a lot of se out of. Today I'm going to focus on bases - primers, foundations, concealors and powder and let you know which ones I would have loved to have known about when I started out with makeup. 


I know that people starting out with makeup may not want to splurge and tend to stick to drugstore products but there are so many great products that are slightly pricier that are definitely worth trying out if you don't mind spending that bit extra on. I also think that if your going to buy any high end products, then a good base products is a great place to start so have included a few that I love.






Primers: 
Of course, primers aren't an absolute essential when applying makeup, and definitely weren't a product that I used when starting out with makeup, but if you do want to try out a primer here are a few that I'd recommend.

Maybelline 'Baby Skin' - I have actually heard of a lot of people who don't seem to get on with this primer, but I for one love it! If you don't mind a silicone, and almost gel-like texture, then this is a great one for minimising pores. Just apply this to the areas of your face which have larger, and more visible pores and wait a few minutes before applying foundation, and your good to go!

The Body Shop Instablur Primer - This is another primer that's great for minimising your pores. The texture is very strange though, thick and clumpy. Despite this, it does it's job very well and is easy to use.

Nivea Express Hydration Primer - This is a great primer for those with dry skin, and even though I have oily/combination skin I still use this on those days when my skin is looking a bit dull. I apply this all over the face and blend in using my fingers. It sits very well under makeup and doesn't leave me feeling oily at all throughout the day.

Foundations:

Revlon Colourstay Foundation - This is a great foundation to start out with as it comes in two different formulas - one for dry/normal skin and one for combination/oily skin. This foundation has 22 shades in the range so hopefully there is something for you! This gives off a medium coverage but can be built up if needed and is great for anyone with acne/acne scarring as it covers them really well. This is a long lasting foundation so a primer isn't necessary. (You can read my review on this here)

Loreal True Match Foundation - Unlike the Revlon Colourstay foundation, this is avery lightweight foundation but can still be built up to give off a medium-heavy coverage. This however is only made in one formula and is best suited for those with oily/combination skin as it leaves you with a semi-matte finish. I feel like this foundation is great for the summer time as it is just so comfortable to wear and doesn't feel the slightest bit heavy on the skin. (You can read my review on this here)

Loreal Nude Magique BB Cream - If your looking for a lighter base, but that has buildable coverage this is the one I'd recommend. This doesn't look cakey when built up and feels very weightless on the skin.




Concealors:

I do love a good concealor as I tend to get blemishes often and also use a concealor to brighten the under-eye area.

Maybelline Fit Me Concealor - This is my go-to concealor for under the eyes as it goes on very creamy and works to cover any dark circles (You can read my review on this here). It is easy to blend and lasts all day.

Collection Lasting Perfection Concealor - This is a very affordable concealor and one that is perfect for concealing blemishes. It stays put through out the day which is something that is very important for me when it comes to concealor as there is nothing worse than having to reapply throughout the day.


Powders:

Bourjois Healthy Balance Powder - This is my favourite powder at the moment as it is a lovely match for my pale skin, keeps me looking shine-free all day long and comes in a very sleek compact with a mirror inside.

Rimmel Stay Matte Powder - I don't tend to use this powder very often nowadays but it is one that I used non-stop when I was starting out with makeup. This is great for anyone who has combination/oily skin as it does exactly what it's title suggests!

Rimmel Silky Loose Powder - If you prefer a loose powder then this is a great one to go with. It feels weightless on the skin and doesn't at all look cakey.

Let me know if you like this kind of post, I'd love to hear what you think! What were the base products that you used when starting out with makeup?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

22 comments

  1. Great picks - I still need to try the fit me concealer! x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You should try it out, it's great (:

      Delete
  2. I have heard so many good reviews about the L'Oreal True Match foundation, I think it is about time I purchase it! Some really good choices here, I like how you are doing the starter kit in different categories, can't wait to read your next post! xx

    Beauty Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you liked this kind of post! You should try it out, I'm sure you'd love it (:

      Delete
  3. The L'oreal Nude Magique BB Cream sounds pretty awesome. I prefer lightweight, buildable bases. :]

    // ▲ itsCarmen.com ▲

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really lovely BB cream, one thats definitely worth trying out (:

      Delete
  4. great products! i really like the loreal true match foundation, i gotta check it out :)

    http://lovepeaceandshimmer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right ! It's "THE BASE" ! Nice post sweetie :)

    If you need more support, follow me on GFC, I always follow back.
    WWW.HEKYMA.COM

    ReplyDelete
  6. I need to finally get my hands on some primer - now I know where to start ;)
    If you'd like you could check out my new blog arabesque - I'd be honored ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope this helped you to find a good primer! (:

      Delete
  7. Love your picks! I love the Revlong colorstay and the Rimmel powder :) Beautiful pictures too!

    RachelShuchatMakeup

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rachel! (: They are both amazing products.

      Delete
  8. I almost have all these products haha! I love the Revlon foundation and the Collection concealer! I really want to try the Bourjois powder though. It sounds like an amazing product!

    X Marjolein
    http://misscocoblue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! The Healthy Balance powder is great, especially if you have oily/combination skin (:

      Delete
  9. I love the Collection conealer, it's definitely a great starter product as it's so creamy and easy to blend out. I'd love to try the Healthy Balance powder, it looks quite cool.
    Dalal x monochromedaisies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! You should definitely try out the Healthy Balance powder, it's really lovely (:

      Delete
  10. I've been using the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder for a long time, its a great affordable powder!


    lisa | lisaxbeauty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to try the Nivea primer, I keep meaning to pick it up so I'm glad you've mentioned it here. I also swear by the True Match Foundation!

    Emily // Beauty and Lifestyle Blog

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great, affordable primer and you get so much product for the money (:

      Delete